Saturday, October 16, 2004
Softdrink Can Chicken
1 medium sized chicken
1 can of softdrink/beer
2 tbsp cranberry sauce/jelly
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, crushed
tsp thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius.
- Drink half of the beer or softdrink. Reserve the other half in the can for later use.
- Puncture the top of the can so that steam can easily escape.
- Clean out cavity of chicken.
- Combine the cranberry sauce, lemon zest, mustard, garlic and thyme in a bowl. Add a splash of sherry.
- If using softdrink you can add some sherry to it for flavour. The liquid in the can is not as important as the can itself. The liquid is used for steaming the inside of the chicken and the flavours it imparts are only mild.
- Carefully place the cleaned chicken onto the can and then rub all over with the marinade.
- Place in oven and roast for an hour per kilo of chicken meat.